
By "Urban Subsistence Living," I mean self-sustaining agriculture in an urban setting. Still not sure what this is? Here's my vision: a family, below the poverty level, and with a handful of inexpensive start-up supplies--raising their own food, generating (or collecting) their own energy, and manufacturing their own household goods, either for their own consumption, or to sell for a source of income--like subsistence farming* in a microcosm. I would love to say that I know what to do and how to set it up, but I don't. That is why I am looking for input. Please read and contribute.
*For a discussion of subsistence farming and sustainable agriculture, see one of the following links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsistence_agriculture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_agriculture
http://www.sarep.ucdavis.edu/concept.htm
Here is the organization that got me interested in the whole concept: Heifer International--http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.201520/
*For a discussion of subsistence farming and sustainable agriculture, see one of the following links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsistence_agriculture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_agriculture
http://www.sarep.ucdavis.edu/concept.htm
Here is the organization that got me interested in the whole concept: Heifer International--http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.201520/

Photo credits: Natural Home Magazine, 7/22/06, Photo by Stephen Dabrowski, article by Justin Clark; Large Rabbit--from Heifer International Gift Catalog
No comments:
Post a Comment